I’ve had problems since installing snow leopard with sharing my printer with my wife’s macbook pro.
Whenever she’d try to print, the job would say “On Hold: Authentication Required”. After some fiddling around I found a solution:
- Go into System Preferences and go to the Print & Fax panel.
- Right click on the printer and choose “Reset Printing System…”. This will remove all of your printers.
- Hit the “+” and add the printer back, it should now be reset and have fixed whatever was fubar before.
- Click on the “Sharing Preferences” button (or go to the “Sharing” System Preference panel)
- Make sure that “Printer Sharing” is checked and that your printer’s name is also checked and that “Everyone” is set to “Can Print”
- On the remote machine you want to remove the printer and add it back in through the System Preferences Print & Fax panel
(This is on 10.6.1, not sure if this works in 10.6.0 (where I first had the problem), you should update to the latest).
After doing all that, I was able to print from my remote computers without any problems or any issues around authentication.